lemonadelibrary

Lemonade Library

Setting up over here for now whilst I decide how I want to shelve my books online.
School Spirits (School Spirits, #1) - Rachel Hawkins Confession: I haven't read the Hex Hall series yet, so Izzy is brand new to me...and I love her!

She and her mum are ass-kicking monster hunters, their whole ancestry is - it's in her blood, it's who she is, it's all she knows. They move to Ideal, Mississippi to take on a new ghost-hunting case so Izzy can basically prove her worth and her skills. Whilst there, she enrolls in high school for the first time and meets Dex, Romy and Anderson, otherwise know as Paranormal Management Society (PMS! :) hehe) and she begins her quest to stop the hauntings.

I really, really enjoyed this. It was fun, witty and the whole story and Hawkins' writing just seemed to invite you in. I loved Izzy as a character, she was so easy to read and follow along - just the right balance of attitude and warmth. I also always have a thing for characters with red hair (I wonder why...!) and Izzy really didn't disappoint. She was perfectly complimented by Romy, Anderson and Dex, and they seemed like a genuinely nice group of friends. Dex was the perfect leading man for the story - unconventional yet full of heart and bravery. He came across so sweet and brought out this side in Izzy that she didn't really ever show to anyone else - even when they were just hanging out, the banter was brilliant!

I also loved the scenes with Torin - so, so funny! His was a really unusual premise (being trapped in a mirror and all) and one that added a extra depth to the story. I hope we find out a lot more about him in the next book!

Speaking of the next book...I wish I didn't have to wait! I'm itching to know what's going to happen next, especially after the ending. Overall, School Spirits was very entertaining with exactly the right balance of mystery, romance, family and friendship. All the characters provided their own special part to the story and had me hooked right from the beginning.

Thanks to NetGalley and Disney Hyperion for providing me with a copy to review truthfully